Spandex care!

Blogs and Sites
Lycra SA
posted 6 years ago
Hi all. Please can someone tell me what is the best way to take care/wash spandex/lycra/ Some people say hot water and very little soap. What kind of soap/detergent? thank you!
Deleted user
posted 6 years ago
I wear a lot of cycle gear and I've always washed my with non-union, 30 degrees normal spin and haven't had a problem yet.
sequential
posted 6 years ago
Well the label for lycra normally says 30c, non-bio and no fabric conditioner. I didn't pay much attention to that but most of my singlets the printing cracks if there's a logo. I've started sticking to the label instructions now, but none of the new singlets have been washed enough yet to see if it makes a difference.

Lycra SALycra SA liked this.

MrUnder
posted 6 years ago
My understanding is that heat causes spandex fibers to break down. I have even read that you should not wear Speedos or jammers in the hot tub/jacuzzi because of this. So, I doubt that washing spandex in hot water is a good idea. I would think the best soap to use is a mild one like those intended for delicate fabrics (such as Woolite, here in the states). Some gear even suggests you wash by hand, do not dry in a dryer, and do not hang in the sunlight to dry (the UV rays will bleach the colors). So, I guess if you really want your gear to last, treat it delicately when washing. Hope that helps!

Lycra SALycra SA liked this.