Best practices for care / shrinking / storage?

Shops and Sites
dakota1212
posted 7 years ago
Hi fam, sorry if this has already been asked here. I'm wondering how everyone stores and takes care of their gear. I have a lot of stuff but live in NYC so a walk-in closet is not really the move. I generally keep stuff semifolded in duffel bags but I want to ensure I'm caring for my gear. Also with older fabric I can feel it stretch out as I use it - does anyone have suggestions for how best to care for this gear and store it? (Or even shrink a bit?)
lycraguynine
posted 7 years ago
I've had some gear last ten years or more with careful washing and wear - when not in use generally folded in a bag or drawer. I use a gentle, fragrance-free detergent and always wash in cold water on gentle, then line dry. Dryers tend to just destroy spandex.
will_doo2002
posted 7 years ago
Always follow the manufacturers cleaning instructions. Never, ever use fabric softeners in the wash cycle or the drying cycle if you are using a dryer. I have had lots of spandex last for 10 plus years simply by following the manufacturer's instructions. Of course getting gear that fits properly helps with longevity. Even though spandex is stretchy it does have its breaking point.
Deleted user
posted 7 years ago
posted by: dakota1212
Hi fam, sorry if this has already been asked here. I'm wondering how everyone stores and takes care of their gear. I have a lot of stuff but live in NYC so a walk-in closet is not really the move. I generally keep stuff semifolded in duffel bags but I want to ensure I'm caring for my gear. Also with older fabric I can feel it stretch out as I use it - does anyone have suggestions for how best to care for this gear and store it? (Or even shrink a bit?)
Container Store has vacuum bags....they're ace!