Discovering speedos for the first time

How I got into Spandex
Deleted user
posted 8 years ago
I was 13 years old and it was a hot California summer… over one weekend my dad and I went to run errands around town. I don’t remember the reason but we stopped at a sporting goods store known as Sport Authority. We were in the men’s athletic clothing section, I was minding my own business not paying much attention to what my dad was looking at… in my early teens I hated going shopping. My dad got my attention by asking me if I needed a new swimsuit for the summer. I remember it to this day, without hesitating he pulled a purple speedo hanging on an end rack. How about this one he said… you will be very comfortable in these then shorts for the beach. I remember laughing it off and didn’t think much about it after that. I guess I had never seen my friends wear them so I was hesitant to. Fast forward 3 years later I had turned 16 and it was the summer again. That meant my dad and I would frequent the beach many times to escape the California heat. We went to a very popular beach which would get crowded on hot days. One day I was swimming in the ocean, when I decided to go sit down next to my dad in the sand I had been wearing my long baggy board shorts and hated how wet and cold they mad me feel after I got out of the water. They took forever to dry… it was almost a coincidence but when I looked a few feet in front of me there was a man, his back was facing me and he had his arms crossed looking out into the ocean at his family. There was something different about this guy that I couldn’t put my finger on at first. When I looked around at the other guys on the beach it was pretty obvious… all the other guys on the beach wore boardshorts and he was the only one wearing a speedo. It was a navy blue brief from the Speedo brand. He was very toned and had a muscular chest and body but not like a bodybuilder more like a swimmers build. People say that the universe presents the right things to you when you need them the most. Its so rare to see guys wear speedos on this beach that I’ve only seen two guys wear them in 8 years from age 16 to 24 that I’ve been going to that beach. I do understand that its a cultural American thing to wear boardshorts. I remember asking my dad… can that guy wear that here on the beach? I pointed to the guy wearing the speedo. My dad replied I don’t see why not. At that point it was a huge turning point for me because I new I didn’t have to wear boardshorts. But it also puzzled me as to why I had never seen them sold in most stores or why more guys didn’t wear speedos. I proceeded to tell my dad I wanted to wear a speedo… he said sure, do you want to go look for one on the way home? I told him that would be great… so that day when we left the beach we went to a sporting goods store on the way home and he bought me my first speedo. I was super exited to try it on when I got home. A few weekends later we had planed on a beach day, but I was in a dilemma… my dad and I were going to meet some of my best friends from school and there parents at the beach. I had never worn something so “skimpy” in public and was super nervous. I was super lucky to have a supportive dad who encouraged me by telling me its just a swimsuit… who cares what other people think as long as you are comfortable. So I slipped the speedo on and left my board shorts at home. To my surprise when we arrived at the beach no one seemed to care or say anything about my speedo. My friends didn’t even say anything which I thought they would being teenage boys in high school. Ever since that day I’ve only worn speedos or skimpier bathing suits such as bikinis, and thongs. I don’t own board shorts to this day. I’m 24 and during the summer my dad is cool with me swimming naked or in g-strings in our pool. I also go to a clothing optional beach which isn’t far from my house. I also wear tight leggings and short shorts from brands such as, N2N Bodywear when I go running.
Lycra SA
posted 8 years ago
Great experience! Good one!
husky407
posted 7 years ago
Its odd that society, especially here in the US, expects women to be in tight clingy bikinis and one piece swim suits. But men cower in baggy board shorts and jams. Women are forced to show off their breast size. But men hide their package size.
PauGev
posted 7 years ago
I´m pretty happy to live in Europe. There almost everything is allowed. And to be honest, most of the guys were baggy shorts influenced by the media. Even I were raised in this "americanized" decades. As toddler actually everbody wore Speedos(I know from photos), but suddelny everyone came up with baggy pants. My father (and until I was 10, me too) kept wearing tight boxer briefs style swimpants, but I wore baggy shorts too. Actually I just came to Speedos a few years ago at the end of puberty. I wish my father would have gone with me to a sporting good store and would have encouraged me to wear Speedos! I secretly admired those guys in Speedos since always